(narration by Thelma Taylor)
Location: Memorial Drive, north behind Strong Hall and Spencer Library
Dedicated: May 27, 1951
Architects: Homer F. Neville and Edward B Delk, Kansas City, Missouri
Landscape Architect: Alton C. Thomas, University of Kansas
Sculptor: Bernard “Poco” Frasier
Contractor: Constant Construction Co., Lawrence
Height and Levels: 120 feet tall; includes four levels for Memorial Room, practice clavier, performance clavier,
and 32-foot bell chamber, A narrow winding staircase connects all
Exterior walls: mixed Silverdale, Cottonwood, and Junction City limestone, squared.
Concave divided walls with cut-off corners
Structure: reinforced concrete
Carillon: John Taylor and Co., Loughborough, England
Bells: fifty-three tuned bells hang in six tiers, weighing from ten pounds to seven tons.
Made from alloy of pure copper and tin
Carillon dedicated: June 6, 1955
Click NEXT or select a building from the menu bar above.